As the weather cools, the sun sets earlier, and the nights get chilly, your furnace begins its busy season. Is your furnace operating efficiently? Is it ready to keep your home warm and cozy for the next few months? If you’re not sure, it may be time for some furnace maintenance. Some things you can do yourself at home, and other things may require the help of a Greensboro furnace repair service. Here are the top 5 things you should do to keep your furnace in good shape.
- Replace your Filters. This is the equivalent to your computer guy telling you to turn off your computer and turn it back on again. Whenever there is a problem with your furnace, 9 times out of 10 you just need to replace your dusty, clogged filters. You should change your intake filters at least every 6 months or quarterly for best performance.
- Consider your Thermostat. Check your thermostat settings the first time you turn the heat on. See that you have it set to an ideal temperature and that the furnace comes on when you switch it to heat for the first time. If you don’t have a programmable thermostat, consider getting one. It can help you save energy when you’re home and when you’re out of the house by automatically adjusting the temperature setting based on the time of day. Many are controllable from your phone or another device.
- Check your Vents and Ducts. Inspect all of the vents in your home and make sure they are open and not blocked by furniture, rugs, curtains, etc. Look over the ducts you can see, whether in your attic or basement and make sure there are no obvious cracks or holes. You may want to consider having your ducts cleaned and sealed if you haven’t done so in a few years.
- Ensure Proper Ventilation. Make sure your intake and exhaust pipes are clear of leaves, debris, ice, nests, or any other potential blockage. If you are unable to access these areas on your own, consider having a Greensboro furnace repair service come out to inspect them.
- Schedule a Furnace Tune Up. Speaking of Greensboro furnace repair, the absolute best thing you can do to keep your furnace in good working condition is to schedule professional maintenance every year. This inspection, cleaning, and tune up ensures your furnace is ready for the cold weather months.
Furnace Maintenance and Repair by Berico
Your furnace is the most important appliance in your home during the fall and winter, but you may not realize it unless it stops working. Make sure your home is always warm and cozy on the coldest days and nights by keeping up with furnace maintenance.
Call (336) 273-8663 today for Greensboro furnace repair or schedule HVAC service.