Air Balancing: How to Avoid Hot and Cold Spots in your Home
Do you experience uneven heating and cooling in your home? It can be frustrating and downright uncomfortable. And it’s probably costing you more in energy as your HVAC system attempts to maintain your desired temperature. This problem can be corrected by your HVAC service in Eden, increasing your home comfort and decreasing your monthly energy bills.
Getting to the Bottom of the Issue
What causes these hot and cold spots in your home? There’s a variety of possible causes, and getting to the source of the uneven temperatures is the first step in correcting the problem.
- Low air flow. Stand under one of your vents while the air is on. Can you feel air coming out? If not, or even if you have to stand on a stool to feel it, you are experiencing low air flow from your HVAC system. Low air flow is most often caused by dirty or clogged filters. Change your filters first. If you don’t feel an improvement in airflow, it may be a mechanical issue instead.
- Outside air getting in. It could be that outside air is getting into your home through cracks or holes in your walls, foundation, or roof. Air can also seep in around doors and windows that aren’t properly sealed. Insufficient insulation could also be failing to keep outside air out of your home. If outside air is getting in, it lowers the efficiency of your HVAC system and forces it to work harder than necessary to achieve the desired indoor temperature.
- Your HVAC system is aging. If your heating and cooling system are old it may be starting to fail. Older systems are also less efficient than newer systems, which means they don’t heat and cool as evenly.
Preventing/Correcting the Problem for Optimal Home Comfort
Now that you have an idea of what may be causing the uneven temperatures in your home, here are some solutions to the problem.
- Change your filters often. If you haven’t changed your filters in a few months, it is definitely time. Replacing dirty filters with new could correct the lack of air flow through your system. Changing your filters often, at least every 3 months, can help prevent airflow issues from ever starting. If filters aren’t the problem, call your HVAC service in Eden to inspect your system for other possible issues.
- Seal up cracks and upgrade insulation. If you find any cracks or holes where outside air may be getting in, seal them up. Add weather stripping to windows and doors. Upgrade or add insulation if you feel yours may be insufficient. If your home has old windows you can save a lot of energy by replacing them with new insulated windows.
- Consider replacing your HVAC system. An old HVAC system may be the cause of uneven heating and cooling. Have your system evaluated by a reliable HVAC service in Eden who can make a recommendation about a replacement.
Tired of hot and cold spots in your home?
When you’re ready to have this issue resolved, Carolina Fuels can help. Expert technicians can diagnose and repair the problem so your home will be more comfortable all year round. Call (336) 623-9741.