Air Conditioning Repairs in Eden: Spring is the Ideal Time
Spring is almost here, and most people will be busy clearing out closets, scrubbing walls and washing windows. However, if you just clean the parts of your house that you can see, you may be doing only half the job. Preventative maintenance on your cooling system should be a part of your regular spring-cleaning activities. Air conditioning repair and maintenance check-ups will help your entire house be clean and dust free. The technicians at Berico Heating & Air get busy once summer hits, so spring is the ideal time for air-conditioning repairs in Eden.
Why Schedule an Air Conditioner Check Up
According to the Department of Energy,
“Annual maintenance can help improve your comfort and the efficiency of your air conditioner while prolonging the life of your unit.”
It is especially important to schedule this maintenance check up in the springtime because the severe weather of the winter months can have a negative impact on your cooling system. The number one cause of air conditioning system failures, as reported by HVAC professionals, is the lack of routine maintenance. Another reason to schedule annual air conditioner maintenance and repair in Eden is cost savings.
According to Energy Star, a division of the EPA,
“The percentage of the average household’s energy use that goes to space cooling is only 6%, yet this can increase during the warm months.”
Small problems can be detected and fixed before they become bigger, more expensive problems by scheduling regular check-ups. Fixing a small refrigerant leak shouldn’t cost much, however, purchasing a new compressor when low refrigerant levels damage your current one can cost thousands of dollars. The other way an annual spring check up saves money is by making certain that your cooling system is working at peak efficiency. When your air conditioner is running well, it uses less energy to cool your house. Lower energy use means increased savings for you on your monthly energy bill.
Typical Maintenance Checks to Ensure Optimum System Performance
- Thermostat settings should be examined to ensure the cooling system keeps you comfortable when you’re home and saves energy while you are away.
- Defective electrical connections can cause unsafe operation of your system and reduce the life of major components. Electrical connections should be inspected and tightened, and voltage and current on motors measured.
- Lubricate all moving parts. Parts that are not lubricated properly can cause friction in motors resulting in increased electricity consumption.
- One way an air conditioner cools your home is by decreasing the amount of moisture in the air or humidity. If the condensate drain is clogged in your cooling system, this can not only cause water damage but also affect humidity levels in your home.
- All system controls should be checked to assure the system starts, operates, and shuts off correctly.
- Evaporator and condenser coils remove heat and humidity from the air using a refrigerant. These should be checked and cleaned. Energy Star, a division of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), reports that dirt and neglect are the top causes of cooling system inefficiency and failure. Dirty coils prohibit the system’s capacity to cool your home. It can also cause the cooling system to run for an extended amount of time, inflating costs and reducing the life of the system.
- Blower and fan motors should be tested and inspected for greater comfort levels. Airflow difficulties can lessen your system’s efficiency by up to 15 percent as stated by the Department of Energy.
Do it Yourself Cost-Saving Tips
- Inspect, clean, or change air filters once a month in your air conditioner. A clogged air filter will restrict airflow and can cause refrigerant lines to freeze resulting in possible breakdowns and serious damage to other system components. According to the Department of Energy, this can lower your air conditioner’s energy consumption by 5-15 percent.
- If you have a window air conditioner, inspect the window seals to keep cool air from escaping. According to Energy Star, homeowners typically save up to hundreds of dollars a year in cooling costs by air sealing their homes.
- Consider installing a programmable thermostat. This could help you save up to 10 percent on heating and cooling costs a year.
No matter what kind of cooling system you have in your house, you can save money and increase comfort by properly maintaining your equipment. Routine maintenance check ups lower energy bills, increase comfort in the home and extend the useful life of your equipment. Now is the time to schedule your air conditioner check up in Eden, Greensboro and Burlington, NC. Berico Heating & Air want to make your home comfortable and your life easier. Contact us today.
SOURCES: Energy Saver (www.energy.gov/energysaver), the Energy Department’s Building Technologies Office; A Guide to Energy-Efficient Heating and Cooling