Do you struggle to keep moisture at bay in your home? Have you noticed mold growing on walls or a musty odor in the air when you walk in? It could be that your air conditioner is failing to keep the indoor humidity under control. It’s possible that you received faulty air conditioner installation in Greensboro. Learn the early warning signs of too much moisture in your home and how to prevent it.
Signs You May Have Mold Growth in Your Home:
- You have allergy symptoms. If you start to experience allergy symptoms like sneezing, itchy eyes, and nasal congestion or if these symptoms suddenly worsen, it could be that there is mold growing in your home that you are unable to see.
- You smell a musty odor. Mold has an odor that smells musty or similar to the way mold smells when it grows on food.
- You see signs of water damage or leaks. If you notice new water stains on ceilings or walls you could have a water leak somewhere. Water damage leads to mold growth.
- You notice condensation on windows and metal surfaces. When there is too much humidity in your home you may notice that windows and mirrors fog up and that moisture gathers on metal surfaces. This is also an early warning sign that your home is at risk for mold growth.
A Malfunctioning AC Unit Can Cause Mold Growth
A properly working air conditioner also works as a dehumidifier for your home. It pulls excess moisture from the air and drains it outside of the home. When your AC has a blocked drainage tube it can cause water to leak inside which can lead to mold growth when not noticed or repaired quickly.
Another way your air conditioner can fail to dehumidify your home is when it has a lack of refrigerant due to a leak. The evaporator coil can freeze over and your home will not cool down as it should. Unwanted moisture will remain inside as the airflow over the coil slows or ceases.
Preventing Mold Growth Due to Air Conditioner Failure
Keeping moisture at bay and preventing the growth of mold comes down to two basic things:
- Regular Maintenance. Prevent mold and mildew damage before it starts by keeping your AC unit professionally maintained. This means scheduling preventative maintenance with your HVAC company every year to ensure your air conditioner is running smoothly and efficiently. Maintenance includes inspecting, cleaning, and lubricating your system as well as recharging refrigerant to the proper levels.
- Proper Air Conditioner Installation in Greensboro. When your air conditioning unit is first installed it must be done correctly. Improper installation of the system or the ductwork can cause problems with humidity and indoor moisture control.
Trust the Installation and Care of Your Air Conditioning System to Berico
If you have reason to believe your AC isn’t properly managing the moisture in your home, have a Berico technician check your system. It’s better to prevent the growth of mold before it starts rather than trying to remove it has already taken hold. Need new air conditioner installation in Greensboro? Be sure it’s done right by hiring Berico to do the job. Call (336) 273-8663.