Have you started to notice an unusual odor coming from your air conditioner? At first, you may wonder if it’s really something new, or if it’s something you’ve never noticed before. But no, it persists and you know it’s not normal. It may be time to call your HVAC company for AC repair in Reidsville.
How to Identify the Smell and the Cause
If your air conditioner smells like:
- Mildew. If the smell is musty, like mildew or mold, that is likely exactly what you have growing somewhere in your AC unit. This should be addressed immediately. Mold and mildew can cause all sorts of health problems from allergies to more serious respiratory issues. Your HVAC company can remove the mold and repair the source of excess moisture in your system that is likely the cause.
- Stinky feet. If the smell coming from your AC smells like dirty socks or stinky feet, this is another indication of a moisture issue. Your filters may be dirty or your drainage system clogged, causing too much moisture or standing water in your AC unit that eventually starts to smell like sweaty feet. Call your HVAC technician to diagnose and repair the problem.
- Burning. If you notice any type of burning smell, sometimes similar to gunpowder or an electrical burning smell, turn off your system immediately and call a heating and cooling expert. The smell could be from a variety of issues from a burned out motor to an electrical wiring problem. Take extreme caution in this situation and call an HVAC professional immediately.
- Exhaust. It may seem odd to smell exhaust fumes, similar to that of a car, coming from your AC unit. But the motor for a central air system requires similar fluids to run and when these leak out, it can smell just like a car engine. This is not normal and requires professional AC repair in Reidsville.
- Rotting. Unfortunately, this is most likely just as it smells. There is probably a dead animal somewhere in your system or ductwork that needs to be removed. Call an HVAC technician who has the training to get into your air conditioner or ducts without causing damage.
Freshen Up your Home with AC Repair in Reidsville
Does it seem like your home doesn’t smell fresh? If the air is stale or you’ve noticed strange odors lately and can’t find the cause, it’s likely that your air conditioner needs a tune-up. Regular maintenance keeps your AC running smoothly and efficiently, which prevents bad smells and other problems. HVAC experts recommend AC maintenance every spring and furnace maintenance every fall. In between these tune-ups, you can change your filters monthly or quarterly to keep dirt and dust out of your system and ensure proper air flow. In addition to keeping odors at bay, you will save money on your energy bills.
Looking for a way to make your indoor air fresher and healthier? Try an air purification system. Easily installed in your current central air system, an air purifier will remove fine particles from the air inside your home and even create new clean air molecules to keep your home smelling fresh year round.
Call Carolina Fuels for AC repair in Reidsville: (336) 273-8663.