The Dangers of Forgetting to Change Your Filters
Owning a home comes with some responsibilities. Change the batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors every year. Clean out your dryer vent every few months. Replace your HVAC filters at least every 6 months. There’s more, but who can remember all of that? You may just brush it all off as unimportant and figure you’ll deal with it if a problem occurs. Unfortunately, that kind of thinking may put your home and appliances in danger. If it seems overwhelming, handle one thing at a time. Let’s tackle the filters first as part of regular HVAC Maintenance in Greensboro, NC.
Changing your Filters and other HVAC Maintenance in Greensboro, NC is Very Important
If you have a forced air heating and cooling system, there are filters in your intake vents. The intake vents are the larger vents that are used to pull air into the HVAC system. That air enters the system and is either heated or cooled, depending on the time of year and your thermostat settings. It is important that the air that goes in is clean, which is the reason for the filter. The filter removes the dust and other particles from the air, keeping them out of your indoor unit and ducts. Over time dust builds up on filters and they become clogged. Clogged filters can cause a variety of problems for your HVAC system such as:
- Reduced or blocked air flow. Clogged filters don’t allow enough air into your system for it to function properly. You’ll experience low air flow out of your vents as well.
- Overheated heat exchanger. When air flow is blocked the heat exchanger in your furnace will get too hot too quickly. The furnace will shut off without heating your home.
- Increase in energy usage (higher bill). Your HVAC system will strain to heat or cool your home with a lack of air, using more energy and driving your bill up.
- Lack of home comfort. Poor air flow leads to short cycling, when your system turns on and off repeatedly without achieving the desired indoor temperature. This makes it much harder to reach the level of comfort you desire.
- Frozen evaporator coil. The outdoor unit of your air conditioner can freeze over, even in the sweltering summer heat, because of clogged filters. Low air flow prevents the hot outdoor air from moving over the evaporator coil as it should, which causes it to freeze.
- Poor indoor air quality. The dust, allergens, and toxins in the air will not be stopped by a dirty filter. All of those things will get through your system, ducts, and vents to pollute the air inside your home.
- HVAC system failure. Clogged filters left unattended for too long can eventually lead to whole system failure, which may or may not be repairable. You could have to replace your entire HVAC system.
Routine HVAC Maintenance Takes the Responsibility off Your Hands
If you’re worried that you won’t remember to change your filters, there is a way to have it automatically taken care of. Reliable HVAC companies like Berico offer maintenance agreements that include replacing your filters twice a year along with other very important system care steps. HVAC maintenance in Greensboro, NC typically involves automatic service calls in the spring and fall that include inspecting, cleaning, and tuning up your system to prevent problems and keep it running efficiently. Take the burden of remembering to change your filters off your shoulders with a Comfort and Protection Service Agreement from Berico. Call (336)273-8663 to sign up today.