Top 5 Reasons to Have your HVAC Ducts Cleaned
When was the last time you had your central air ducts cleaned? If the answer is “never” or “I don’t remember” then it’s way past due. Duct cleaning should be done periodically as part of regular HVAC maintenance. The frequency depends on a number of factors including whether you have pets, where you live, and the number of people living in your home. You should certainly be sure to have it done as part of an AC replacement in Reidsville. If you’re contemplating having your ducts cleaned, be sure to consider these top 5 reasons to have it done.
- Improved Health. Indoor air quality is a very important contributor to general health. From mild issues like allergies due to dust, pollen, and pet dander to more serious issues like illness from mold and carbon monoxide poisoning, dirty ductwork can be a problem. When allergens build up in your ducts, they are polluting your indoor air. If the ductwork is not properly ventilating, moisture can get trapped in the ducts causing mold growth. Even carbon monoxide that your furnace produces could seep into your home when ducts are leaky, rather than being properly vented outside. Leaks form when ductwork is not properly maintained.
- Better HVAC Performance. It is best to keep dust and dirt out of your system as much as possible. Your filters will eliminate most debris when changed out regularly, but over time some dust will get through. It ends up inside your system and decreases its efficiency. By cleaning your ducts you eliminate the buildup, helping your HVAC system to run at top performance.
- Increased Insulation. Dirty ducts are more likely to develop leaks. Moisture can cause corrosion and blocked ducts cause air pressure problems that result in weak spots or holes. Keeping your ductwork clean will prevent leaks, meaning the air your system has conditioned will stay in, and the outside air will stay out.
- Fresher Indoor Air. Does the air in your home smell less than fresh? Often the culprit is in the air ducts. Dust, dirt, pet dander, pollen, and other debris settles in your ducts and pollutes the air that blows out of your vents. Moisture that builds up in air ducts from a poorly functioning HVAC system can cause mold and mildew to grow, fouling up the air in your home. Cleaning your ducts will freshen the air, making it smell more pleasant.
- New Home or New HVAC System. If you have just moved into a home with an existing central air system, it is wise to have the ductwork inspected and cleaned if necessary. You may have no idea when the ducts were last cleaned or what condition they are in. Ducts should also be cleaned as part of AC replacement in Reidsville. A brand new system will work best with clean air ducts.
Call Carolina Fuels at (336) 623-9741 to schedule duct cleaning and inspection. If you are planning on AC replacement in Reidsville, your ducts should be cleaned before your new system is installed.