How Often Should You Change Your Air Conditioning Filter?
This is one of the most frequently asked questions about HVAC equipment maintenance. A forced air system, better known as central air, requires filters in the intake vents to keep dust and debris out of your system. These filters need to be replaced every so often to allow proper airflow through your HVAC system. How often? Learn the answer to this and other filter related questions.
- How often should you change your AC filters? HVAC experts typically recommend changing your filters every 3 months. This is the appropriate time frame for the average home, but certain factors could make a difference. If you have pets, allergies, or if you live in a dry, dusty area it may be in your best interest to change your filters every 30-45 days.
- What does MERV rating stand for? HVAC filters are assigned a MERV rating, which stands for Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value. The MERV rating indicates how effective a filter is at removing particles from the air. The higher the MERV rating, the better the filter and the cleaner your indoor air and HVAC system will be.
- Are there reusable filters? Changing out disposable filters every 3 months or less makes a lot of trash and the cost can add up. Reusable filters can be washed and used again, which reduces waste and can save you money. Reusable filters cost more up front, but they can be used for multiple years before needing to be replaced. The most important thing to remember about reusable filters is that they must be allowed to dry completely before placing them back in the vents. It may help to have two sets of reusable filters so that you can put one set in while washing the others.
- What can go wrong if you don’t change your filters often enough? Over time filters can become clogged with dust, pet hair, pollen, and other particles. When filters are clogged your HVAC system can’t draw enough air to operate properly. It may also cause dust and particles to get through the filter and into your ducts and system. You may find yourself calling a technician for AC repair when the problem is only your filters.
- What are the long-term effects of dirty filters on your HVAC system? If your HVAC filters are clogged with dust and debris for a long period of time without being changed, it can take a toll on your system. The motor on the intake fan will have to work harder and harder to draw in enough air to operate, which will cause it to wear out faster than it should. Some of the particles will get past your filter, allowing your ducts and the mechanical parts of your HVAC system to get dirty and work less efficiently. Ultimately you will find yourself in need of AC repair more frequently and the overall lifespan of your HVAC equipment will be shortened.
Berico Provides Filter Replacement with Regular HVAC Maintenance
Twice yearly maintenance is recommended by HVAC experts to optimize efficiency, prevent the need for repairs, and extend the lifespan of your system. Berico provides an HVAC maintenance plan that includes AC repair in the spring and heating repair in the fall. These appointments include filter replacement, meaning that you will only need to change your filters two other times in the year between your appointments.
Call 336-273-8663 today to schedule or request HVAC service.